What is Steff-stainability?

Living sustainably, my way. It's thinking about what you are putting into your body and how it affects you. But it's also indulging in a brownie cheesecake every now and then. It's making your body look the way you want it to and being proud of it. But it's not spending half of the day working out. It's about making small changes in your life to benefit the great earth on which we live. But it's also running your A/C in the summer and driving your car. It's about setting goals and living up to them. It's trying to make the world a better place. And as I am ever-learning and ever-changing, so is this definition.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Chicken Tenders and Zucchini Gratin

I was flipping through my favorite issue of Fine Cooking (the May issue of quick and healthy meals) that my mother-in-law gave to me to find an exciting new recipe to try. I came across one of my favorite go-to pasta meals, whole wheat penne with zucchini and fresh herbs, and along the side were quick and easy ways to prepare zucchini. One of the recipes I came across was a gratin with zucchini, and a lightbulb went off in my head! I could use the vegetables that I got from farmers market. I decided to try it, but since Ryan almost always has to have meat in his meal, I thought I would add some chicken to the recipe. So here you have it, Chicken Tenders and Zucchini Gratin, a la Steffani!

Ingredients
Thinly sliced chicken breasts, or chicken tenders (about 3 per person)
Breadcrumbs
Salt and Pepper
Vegetable oil
2 tomatoes*
1 zucchini*
1 yellow squash*
1/2 red onion*
Fresh basil, roughly chopped
Fresh parsley, finely chopped
Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Extra virgin olive oil

*if cooking for more than 3 people, increase the amount

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Coat the chicken in breadcrumbs, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat some vegetable oil in a skillet over med-high heat, and brown the chicken.
4. While the chicken is browning, chop the tomatoes, zucchini, squash, and herbs. Be careful to keep an eye on the chicken, though!
5. When the chicken is browned, remove from heat and spread over a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil.
6. Top the chicken with the zucchini, and then sprinkle a little bit of basil, parsley, onion, and salt and pepper. Then layer the squash on top of it, topping it with the onion, herbs and seasonings. Last, layer the tomatoes.
7. Top the tomatoes with the rest of the herbs, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
8. Put in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown and the squash is soft.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment