What is Steff-stainability?

Living sustainably, my way. It's thinking about what you are putting into your body and how it affects you. But it's also indulging in a brownie cheesecake every now and then. It's making your body look the way you want it to and being proud of it. But it's not spending half of the day working out. It's about making small changes in your life to benefit the great earth on which we live. But it's also running your A/C in the summer and driving your car. It's about setting goals and living up to them. It's trying to make the world a better place. And as I am ever-learning and ever-changing, so is this definition.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hey, can you put your sandwich down for a sec so I can punch you?

Ryan, the dogs, and I are back from Dallas (aka civilization) and ready to face Lawton (aka hell) once again. Wicked was AMAZING; I have wanted to see it for so long and finally got the chance to! I wanted to relive it so badly that on the way home today I sang my acapella version of "Defying Gravity" while Ryan was sleeping (so he wouldn't have to hear my mad skillz), after which I realized I should shove a sock in my mouth to refrain myself from butchering such a wonderful song. Next time I want to relive it, I'll just watch the episode of Glee where they sing it. They do it much better justice than I do.

Overall, it was a very pleasant trip and great to spend some quality time alone with my husband, away from all the stress of the military (although his conversations were littered with military terms, no matter how much I BEG him not to. Do I talk like a teacher when I come home from subbing? No. Honey, I know you are reading this and I love you. =). Anyway, despite our fun time, we saw something while we stopped for lunch that REALLY pissed me off, hence the name of this post, and directly relates to this blog.

Disclaimer: I'm about to get really fired up. In advance, pardon my French.

We stopped for lunch in this little town in the middle of nowhere at a Subway. I don't really like Subway, but we were starving and I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything else for an hour in each direction. We crack the windows, pour the dogs some water (it was REALLY hot), and go in. Some douchebag is at the counter taking his sweet time ordering his sandwich. It's like he's never been in a sandwich shop before. Asking all kinds of questions like "What kind of meat do you have?" and "Well the Subway I normally go to has a picture on the menu of the sandwich I always get, so I don't know what it's called or what's in it. Can you make it for me?" 10 minutes and 6 order changes later, he finally pays and sits down to eat.

We order our sandwiches and chips (I got Baked BBQ Lays, by the way, which has TWELVE less grams of fat than the regular BBQ Lays!), pay and go on our merry (and slightly annoyed) way. On our way out I notice that the car parked next to us is empty, but running. It took me a second to realize what was going on, and then it hit me. THIS ASSHOLE LEFT HIS CAR RUNNING BECAUSE HE WANTED TO KEEP HIS A/C ON SO IT WOULD BE COOL WHEN HE GOT BACK IN.

Are. You. FREAKING. Kidding. Me. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Do you realize how much you are wasting right now?!?! This was not my small, gas-efficient Corolla either. It was an EXPLORER. And so he doesn't have to endure one minute of heat, he takes his sweet time ordering his food, is a complete and total jerk to the "sandwich artist", and then SITS DOWN TO EAT IT while his oversized car emits pollution into our air! That is just completely unnecessary and selfish.

I mean, that thought would never cross my mind. "Hey I'm going to keep my car running while I eat my lunch so my car won't be hot when I get in. I'm such a genius!!" That thought never crossed my mind, and I had my dogs sitting in the hot car!! The plan was to get in and get out as fast as we could. This asshole was lucky I didn't realize what was going on until I got in the car or I might have taken his keys as a souvenir.

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment